Friday, October 28, 2011

Research

As defined by Google Dictionary:

noun /riˈsərCH/ /ˈrēˌsərCH/  
researches, plural

1. The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions

This is the "World Authenticated" stamp, categorizing my life. I have recently begun the journey into the scientific world of graduate school in the Life Sciences, and as such, have assumed the label inherit with this microcosm. The aforementioned stamp might read something like, "Graduate Student: 98% lean, 2% fat." The meat of research is the drive to discover, an aspiration to contribute to an ever growing academic body, the insatiable hunger for knowledge: the "lean". The "fat" then, is that flavorful bit of the individual that incorporates all of his hobbies, skills, mannerisms, and uniqueness. That's not to say of course that the lean meat cannot participate in unique modes of expression. Just as the flavor of beef differs from pork or chicken, an individual may taste different... so to speak. Not only that, but preparation of the meat delivers multiple facets of flavor that may in other recipes go undetected. Nonetheless, the point at hand does not require such an elaborate examination of this analogy. This stamp is how the world perceives as one in my situation, more or less. To relate what I perceive as my voyage makes way, the stamp I would ascribe to those in my situation would be this: 
"Graduate Student: 100% lean, 15% fat." Scary, right? Yeah, operating at 115% at all times is something I cannot even imagine... Because here's my stamp:

"Graduate Student: 20% lean, 80% fat." So it would seem that there is at least 78% of me that could use a little trimming- and that is terrifying. I do not want to be cut to fit the mold of the World's perspective on perfectly packaged poultry; I want to be the bacon grease that fills the air with saliva inducing scents and plays the viola like a virtuoso often disguised as a novice (for the humor of course), like I am! Still, trimming is extremely necessary, and I want it. I want it, and need it more so. However, I would never leave that dissection up to a definition decided by the molten mass of human intellect. I leave that up to Yahweh. Alignment with Him, bringing the Worlds perspective in line with my perspective in line with His perspective. Then I might transcend these stamps to "Graduate student: 100% Me in Him," changing the definition of research that I function in to:

noun /riˈsərCH/ /ˈrēˌsərCH/  
researches, plural
1.    Just a piece of me of me-in-Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment